March 31, 2020
Tabligh activities in India
- Tabligh Jamaat workers, both foreigners as well Indians, indulge in Tabligh activities (Chilla) across the country throughout the year.
- Various nationals, particularly from Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Kyrgyzstan come for Tabligh activities.
- All such foreign nationals normally report their arrival at Tabligh Markaz at Banglewali Mosque in Hazrat Nizamuddin in New Delhi. From here, they are detailed f5or Chilla activities to different parts of the country.
- Chilla activities in all States are coordinated by District Coordinators in different Districts, who, in turn, in some States are supervised by State Amirs.
- As on March 21, there were about 1746 persons staying in Hazrat Nizamuddin Markaz. Of these, 216 were foreigners and 1530 were Indians.
- Additionally, about 824 foreigners had been, as on March 21, doing Chilla activities in various parts of the country (State-wise breakup enclosed).
- Also, a large number of Indian Tabligh Jamaat workers were also engaged in different parts of the country.
- Details of these 824 foreigners had been shared on March 21 with the State Police for identifying them, getting them medically screened and quarantining them.
- Besides, on March 28, State Police were advised to collect the names of Indian Tabligh Jamaat workers from the local coordinators, locate them on the ground, get them medically screened and quarantine them. So far, about 2137 such persons have been identified in different States. They are being medically examined and quarantined. This process is still on and more such people would be identified and located. On March 28, MHA also issued a detailed advisory to Chief Secretaries and DGPs of all States, as well as CP Delhi, on this issue (copy enclosed).
- Again, State DGPs had been advised by DIB on March 29, to trace the movement of all such Tabligh workers in their area, ascertain the people coming in their contacts and take steps for their medical screening. Many States have already started doing this.
- All the Tabligh Jamaat workers staying at Hazrat Nizamuddin Markaz are being medically screened since March 26. So far 1203 Tabligh Jamaat workers have been medically screened. 303 of them had symptoms of COVID-19 and were referred to different hospitals in Delhi. Rest of them have been moved to different quarantine centres at Narela, Bakkarwala and Sultanpuri. This process will continue throughout today to move every Tabligh Jamaat worker out of Nizamuddin Markaz.
- It is estimated that from January 1 onwards this year, approximately 2100 foreigners had visited India for Tabligh activities. While approximately 824 of them, as on March 21, were dispersed in different parts of the country, approximately 216 of them were staying at Nizamuddin Markaz. Others might have left the country before the lockdown.
- Bureau of Immigration has been sharing (since February 1) with State authorities, details of all international arrivals from affected countries based on Self Declaration Form filled-in by them.
- In addition, since March 6, Bureau of Immigration had also been sharing details of all the international arrivals (both Indians and foreigners) at all the international airports in the country to the concerned State, based on the permanent address mentioned in their passport, in case of Indians, and hotel address, in case of foreigners.