WHO to send team to China to probe origins of Covid-19
There is a suspicion that China developed the deadly Coronavirus in a lab in Wuhan.
The WHO has decided to send a team of investigators to China next week, Reuters has quoted the UN body chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus as telling the media in a briefing on Tuesday.
The wire service report published by The Tribune quoted the WHO head as saying that the COVID-19 pandemic is not even close to being over.
Tedros noted that, six months after China first alerted the WHO to a novel respiratory infection, the grim milestones of 10 million confirmed infections and 500,000 deaths had been reached.
“Most people remain susceptible, the virus still has a lot of room to move,” he was quoted as saying.
“We all want this to be over. We all want to get on with our lives. But the hard reality is that this is not even close to being over. Although many countries have made some progress globally, the pandemic is actually speeding up,” the WHO head said.
On the other hand, head of the WHO's emergencies programme, Mike Ryan, told the briefing that tremendous progress had been made towards finding a safe and effective vaccine to prevent infection, but there was still no guarantee the effort would succeed.
He said countries could fight the spread of the disease by testing, isolating confirmed cases and tracking their contacts. Ryan further added that Japan, South Korea and Germany adopted comprehensive and sustained strategies against the virus and they remained successful.